Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Lottery Process

I truly thought I was the only adult on the planet who could not swim. I'm making progress on my own, but not as fast as I would like. SO, I went to the Y to sign up for lessons. They have a lottery process that is so unbelievably frustrating...on sign up day, you have to arrive at 7:00am to get a time to come back for registration. My time was 10:30, so I worked out, ran some errands, came back, stood in line again, only to be referred to a white board to get the class number for the lesson dates/times. This is going to sound so critical, but they have computers to bill me for my membership, but they can't use it to look up swim class availability on registration day, when there's a line snaked around the lobby almost blocking the entrance. When I finally got a peak at the Fred Flinstone board and noticed all adult times were crossed off, I had to get back in line to ask the person at the desk why the adult lessons were no longer available. She tells me the classes are full. Apparently, they do a priority registration, weeks earlier, for people who have already participated in the aquatics program. Which really isn't fair when you think about it because how do you get in the system as a participant if there is no class to participate in?
I called a local community pool and they have a similar process. Sign ups begin at midnight on Friday. Crossing my fingers. In the meantime, I have to laugh at this post I found on a tri forum:

Signs you might need work on your swimming:
- The first drill the masters coach has you do is blow bubbles.
- You do kickboard drills and find yourself going backwards.
- A little kid wearing floaties can get to the other side of the pool faster than you
- You get lapped by the 80 year old woman with the snorkel, doing the doggy paddle
- You arrive at the pool to swim and the lifeguards move closer to your lane.
- People offer you swim advice without you asking.
- You swim one lap at masters and everyone else is on their third or fourth lap.
- Your idea of a successful swim is not the swim time, but rather the fact that you SURVIVED THE SWIM!

1 comment: