Monday, July 6, 2009

To Buy or Not to Buy



I'm so back and forth about buying a new bike. I love my mountain bike, but it is one of those cheap department store types I bought to ride around with the girls when they were little. And when it comes to equipment, you do get what you pay for. I guess the bottom line is, how much do I care about my race time? I always say my goal is just to finish, but when I line up, I feel differently. And when it comes to the Tri, I have no previous time to compare. At this point in training, my swim time is 15 minutes, bike time about an hour, and the run is 28 minutes. The bike is realistically where I can shave time. I see other cyclists on the trail, looking like they are barely pedaling, but passing me on a bike that is lighter than a lunch box. Decisions, decisions...

3 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that people ever questioned IF they should get a new bike so I am trying to get over my shock here but will try to dispel my knowledge.

    The main difference between "cheap" bikes and expensive bikes are materials, weight, parts and of course cost. Pricey isn't always best depends on what you plan on doing with it, I super light race specific bike is going to plain suck and be uncomfortable for everyday rides around the neighborhood because they were meant for that, likewise a grocery cruiser could probably be used in a race if you don't mind dodging the spectators in the street in front of you because you are so far behind that they figured everyone already went by. I guess if you are looking for a happy median the best bet would be to go to a reputable bike dealer in town and talk to them about what it is you are looking for the bike to do, most quality bike places will work with you to find something that is right for you so that you will continue to come back when you need other things for the bike or when you need a new bike. A good bike shop will also be able to help you with proper fit and alignment, that is where I would start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points...doing the test rides this weekend. I think I get why you five bikes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't get a new bike until you get this one completed and then you can make a decision. Don't rush into anything and scope out what other rides people have during the race and get feedback from them on their choices.

    ReplyDelete