Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Slo-Mo

Are Yassos making me slower? I have been going to the track on Tuesdays for the past three weeks doing (or attempting)
Yassos. That is, running at full speed for 800 meters. Realistically, its a full sprint on the length of the track and
a sort of jog around the curve.

Today, I thought I would check my progress and I ran a route where I usually do well...ended up with a 1:04:00/6 miles and
a little knee pain.

Is it worth it?

Maybe it's just that I have a lot on my mind.

My daughter has a condition called trichotillomania. It began over the summer and I figured it was moving, the anticipation
of starting Jr High and quitting cheerleading, which had been a big part of her life.

I researched habit reversal techniques and we bought a tangle toy. I hung in the background while she was on the computer
or watching tv to see how she was doing. I have reached a point in parenting where I don't know what to do.
And I am too emotionally involved. It hurts my heart just knowing I can't help her.
She does talk to me about it and we have discussed going to a counselor, but she has said she isn't comfortable talking to a stranger.

I'm checking with her pediatrician. I'm worried that she is physically hurting her scalp.

After my run today, I'm leaning toward talking to her again about counseling.

3 comments:

  1. I had to use google to find out the definition. What about online support groups? Anything like that available? Would allow her to interact but still maintain some semblance of anonymity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a tough thing as a parent when you can't help. All you can do is be supportive and provide whatever outside support is available. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete