Thursday, April 15, 2010

Freaky Friday April 9

Friday morning after Spring Break and a trip to Ocean Shores, I woke up to the alarm and rolled over for the routine smack to the snooze button. But this morning was different-the room would not stop spinning. I felt like I was in the middle of one of those merry-go-rounds that you used to see at the park until, like the teeter-totter, it somehow got declared unsafe. If you don't believe in miracles, consider that I made it through childhood without a car seat, plugs for the electrical outlets, or a bike helmet. Honestly, I think I need those things more as an adult.
So, after a miserable weekend of dizziness, nausea, vomitting, repeat...I made it to the doctor on Monday.
I have a little side rant about the whole experience. After some quality time in the waiting room, I got to wait again in the clinic room. I poked around, of course, because sitting still made the dizziness worse. I read all the colorful signs about blood pressure and how anti-biotics may not be the answer. I read about ADD, which I'm convinced I definitely have, and then moved on to pacing with a Smithsonian magazine. I had flipped to an article about mummification when I came across this little sign scotched taped to the wall that read some thing like this:
"Please limit this office visit to one or two symptoms. The Doctor's time is valuable and our schedulers would be happy to work with you to schedule another visit."
WTF?
So I peeled off the sign and stuck it in the Smithsonian, retrieved a notebook from my bag and began to make a list of all the aches and pains and medical concerns I have had over the past several years when I have not had insurance or the luxury to waste a doctor's time. To be considerate, I grouped them together...the things that might be related...and I still had five minutes to spare before the doctor actually graced me with his presence.
Kudos though, to Dr. Bacon, because he was very patient and listened to all my concerns, including the latest about adult ADD. It might have been the vertigo, but at one point, I think he was actually glancing about for the sign.
I left with a prescription for meclizine (which you can actually buy over the counter) and the voice in my head...there's really nothing more we can do.
The nausea has subsided, though I'm still dizzy and every day life has become a bit of a challenge. Sitting and sleeping presents the largest problems because that's when the 'internal merry-go-round with no off switch' decides to go for a spin.
I did manage to run 3 miles this morning. Eugene in two weeks...how little can I run and still do the event? One day at a time...

1 comment:

  1. That sounds terrible. I hope you get it all sorted out soon. Glad you were able to run again.

    ReplyDelete