Monday, April 19, 2010

FRS


Since training for multiple events, I have become more interested in food, and combinations of food, for fuel as well as for recovery and healing.

I also like to read over the nutrition sections of Runner's World and the Triathlete magazines and sometimes I'll clip an add for a product and give it a try.

I have seen the promos for FRS everywhere. The product contains concentrated amounts of quercetin, which is an antioxidant and found in foods like blueberries and apples. The claim is that quercetin triggers the body's cells to produce
energy in a natural way.

In reading over the literature, I am most interested in this:

"An independent, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study showed that when 12 healthy active (but not highly trained) men and women consumed 500 mg of quercetin in an enriched drink mix twice daily for 7 days, they experienced a 13.2% increase in endurance and a 3.9% increase in V02 max."

I found a formula and test to measure VO2 max so I will try it out for the next two weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Don't think we get FRS in South Africa. I'll have to look. My VO2 max is very low, so speed is not my companion.

    ReplyDelete