Monday, January 31, 2011

Limitations

"You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth." -H.L. Mencken

I'm going to say something bold. I have come to believe that it is really our own self who imposes limitations and makes up rules for what we think we can or cannot do.

A friend shared with me this weekend that she has never run with me because she felt intimidated by the distance. We ran around Lake Stevens at a steady pace, just over 9 miles. When we were finished, she was talking about the next run.

I'm really blogging this part as a reminder to myself-especially when it comes to swimming-that I will improve my time.

I remember when I couldn't run a mile. Three miles seemed like a long way to run. I had a lot of doubts going into my first 5K; wondering if I had trained enough, if I was going to be able to run up the hill, and what if I was the last person and everyone finished before me? Marathon was something super athletes did. As simple as it sounds, I allowed myself to lift the limitation of what I thought I was capable of. I want to take that part of being a runner and make myself a better swimmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment