Friday, September 6, 2013

How Much Running?

Sunday night I didn't sleep too well, and I woke up Monday feeling really sapped. I had made plans with Sonja to run at Cougar mountain and I didn't want to disappoint her. Plus I had my new hydration pack to try out. I am loving all the little pockets and places to stash things.

Usually about 2 miles into a trail run, I get in that steady state zone and my breathing normalizes with the slopes and dips, but at mile 3 I felt so winded, I walked...tried to jog...walked some more. I meant to do 20 miles and ended up doing 11-mostly walking. Lacey (Sonja's dog) was so sweet and protective-she stayed back with me while I tried to keep up with her.

I rested on Tuesday. Wednesday I was cranky and irritable (we all know how it is when we miss a workout) and somewhat panicky looking at 4 weeks to a 50k. My running rule is go out for 10 minutes and if that feels good keep going. It felt worse than CrossFit. So I power walked 2.5 miles.

On the subject of power walking-I met a women who coaches for the Susan G Komen 3 Day walk. She claims power walking burns as many calories as running. I'm still not sure I believe that. I do agree it uses the muscles differently-I felt it more around my ankles and lower gastrocnemius. According to my Garmin, the walk burned significantly less calories than running.

Yesterday, I went to CrossFit and came home and took a nap.  Today I biked-ran-rowed. I'm thinking I finally sweat out whatever was looming.

4 weeks...my training looks much different than my previous 50k.  I am cross training more and running less.
The take away from my certification class is the importance of building strong muscles, a strong core, and being balanced. Repetitive motion can lead to over use injuries.
So the question is- how much running is just enough?

There is so much conflicting information out there. I read one plan that says 16 miles is enough distance to complete a marathon and that any more time on your feet is over doing it-Say what, now? That's not even to the wall. Other plans say you must run 3, 20 milers. Some coaches say run up to 23 miles.

Truth is, I guess not everyone jumps in five weeks out.

No comments:

Post a Comment