Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Beginner's Mind

WOD:
Negative split
3 miles out at 26:32 Average Pace 8:49
3 miles back at 26:05 Average Pace 8:41

"The richness of present-moment experience is the richness of life itself" -Jon Kabat-Zinn

At the Y, there are these new treadmills that have "routes" on them with a view. You can run the Grand Staircase or a trail in New Zealand or the Boston Marathon route. I'm not a fan of the treadmill, but the idea is running somewhere new each work out.

In that spirit, I decided to run each of my favorite routes with the attitude of a beginner's mind. Seeing the surroundings as if for the first time. Because, no matter how many times I have run a particular place, every moment is new. Every stride in the present is unique to that experience.

I set that intention today and ended up with a great negative split. It feels like my best runs are the days without expectation.

1 comment:

  1. That is great to have for treadmill runs. I agree 100% with you...the best runs are always the ones without expectation.

    ReplyDelete