Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I'm a runner...I'm a RUNNER...I'M A RUNNER

It has taken me a long time to say that with confidence. My running journey began after both my girls had started school and I had to do something about the "baby" fat. I was a closet runner (treadmill at the gym or early morning so no one would see me) all through training for my first 5K. The more I ran, the more running started to feel like freedom and independence and rebellion. Freedom from the daily grind and my desk job, independence because I could do this for myself and rebellion from all the junk I had started believing about myself-I'm not good enough or fast enough or athletic enough. That was in 2003. Fast forward to now, I have completed 9 marathons (including an ultra), a half-iron distance triathlon, participated in a Ragnar relay and find myself addicted to trails. There's a saying, "the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" and I say, why not run it?

No comments:

Post a Comment