Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Girls on the Run 5K


Yep, I couldn't sleep the night before. I packed and re-packed my bag, added a few extra shirts and jackets in case any of the girls forgot, fretted a little over the running buddy list (long story but in short, we were short a few buddies. I ended up recruiting my girls and friends at the last minute. Luckily it all worked out!) and prayed that it wouldn't rain too much.
Wow, it was cold. I met my running friends at the Y and carpooled to Seward Park. We checked in with the race director and picked up the materials for our team. I was thankful for the hand warmers. Amberle and I ran around a little to warm up and by the time I got back the girls had started to arrive. We pinned race bibs(everyone had a #1 on their bib), took photos and made sure everyone had enough layers. Our team was the first to line up. I have never been at the front of a start line, so I stood on a big rock and turned to look behind me. There was a sea of girls with melon colored shirts, smiling and talking and getting ready to run. And it was one of those moments, I wish I could freeze in time, or book mark somehow and come back to it...where the past, present and future merge for an instant and I feel like this is where I'm meant to be, where I belong, and where I want to go. And off I ran, with my running buddy Luna, feeling like it doesn't get any better than this.

1 comment: