Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Heart Rate Monitors

I'm reading up on heart rate monitors as a training tool.
I recently attended a bike seminar where Sally Edwards was one of the guest speakers and, surprise, she spoke mostly about triathlon training.
Her program is designed around training to your heart zone and she's developed a system for calculating it and then a model for phase training: base, endurance, strength, interval, speed and power.

It does make sense to have one to gauge when you can truly push versus when you are just feeling tired.

Another aspect, is if you measure your heart rate in the morning and it suddenly goes up, it's a sign
of over training.

I'm told I have a very low resting heart rate @ 45 beats per minute. I once worked with a personal trainer and we couldn't get my heart rate above 80. At the time, I thought I was just really out of shape. After researching,
I think I may need to monitor it in all three sports and daily to get a better overall reading.

2 comments:

  1. I never use my monitor. It seems a little complicated for me. I am sure if I had a better explanation, it would be a great tool to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used a heart rate monitor. I'm sure if used correctly it can be great. I'm to slow and social with my running to add technical things to it. For the 3 different sports it might be good.

    ReplyDelete