Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Resolutions vs Goals

Well, if your gym is like mine, it's most likely busier in January and February and then starts to get back to 'normal' in March. I would normally avoid the gym this time of year, just for that reason. But I'm finding it fun and interesting to see new faces and meet new members at the Y.

My resolution this year is to encourage people to get active, to stay active, and to be healthy. I say that generally, but I do have a particular person who I really want to focus my attention on this year. The goal then, in the broad sense, is to be an example of that myself, invite my person to workout, talk up events, try new classes, and plan a couple of cycling tours to look forward to.

In the new year, I also think it's important to look back and remember what you have accomplished. I started this with the intention of ordering photos from events I had participated in and making a real photo album. And then it got a little pricey (can't they just include a picture as part of the sign up fee). So I just did a screen shot of each event and merged them together using Paint.

Here's my 2010 looking back photo:



For 2010, I had several resolutions. #1-accomplished. #2-it was probably 10-15 new things...I tried snowboarding, some ethnic foods which were new to me, I learned to knit, I planted a mini-garden, joined an association for trans-racial adoptees, coached, made some jewelry, took a ceramics class, finished a century, learned to make a Korean dish, went thrift store hopping with Amberle, and sky aerobics. #3-I'm closer to finding out my color. I know I want to work with kids in the age group of 8-12 and I know I love coaching. #4-I looked into climbing Mt Rainer and the time and cost is a little much for me at this point in my life. But I won't write it off just yet.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy -
    Sounds like 2010 was a great year o trying new things. Way to go! I just wanted to check in and wish you a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with your 2011 goals! and great photo collage too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a busy 2010. I admire your desire to encourage others to live healthier but I for one don't know if I could deal with they gym crowds all year.

    ReplyDelete